2020 Honda TALON 1000X-4 FOX LIVE VALVE
If the whole point of a side-by-side is sharing the fun, then the new Honda Talon 1000X-4 and Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve just doubled down on the best sport side-by-sides out there. It’s a genius idea: Take our two-seat Talon 1000X, stretch it out so you can carry two more passengers, and it’s time to party. But here’s the biggest difference—this four-seat SxS is done the Honda way, so those extra passengers get stadium seating and plush accommodations, while Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve owners get even more features, like Honda’s new launch mode and refined FOX Live Valve suspension.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
- POWERFUL 999cc TWIN-CYLINDER ENGINE Sport side-by-sides need power, and you’re sure to find the new Talon 1000X-4’s offer plenty of it. The Talon’s 999cc liquid-cooled inline twin delivers the kind of powerful torque and quick-revving horsepower you’d expect from a flagship sport model, but is equally responsive in lower revs and in the critical midrange too. Set longitudinally in the chassis and managed by Honda’s sophisticated PGM-FI engine-mapping system, it delivers the kind of refinement no other side-by-side can match.
- UNICAM CYLINDER HEAD DESIGN The Talon’s 999cc liquid-cooled inline twin uses the same proven Unicam® cylinder head design found in our championship-winning CRF450R motocrosser. That helps make the engine more compact, which lets us position it for optimal weight distribution and ground clearance.
- ROLLER ROCKER ARMS Roller-tip rocker arms in the Talon’s valve train help reduce engine friction, facilitate higher, faster revs, and contribute to more efficient engine operation and power. They’re another example of Honda refinement you may not see, but that you’ll feel with every ride.
- HIGH LIFT, LONG DURATION CAMSHAFT Giving the Talon’s engine a camshaft with high lift and long duration helps transform the engine. Better breathing helps the Talon make more power, and keeps that power coming all the way to redline.
- 46mm THROTTLE BORE SIZE Complementing the Talon’s potent camshaft specs, our engineers also gave the engine twin 46mm bores for more airflow and better breathing. You’ll feel it the first time you floor the throttle, and you’ll hear it too, with the Talon’s throaty intake roar.
- HIGH-FLOW FUEL INJECTORS Here’s a math lesson that’s anything but boring: More air plus more fuel equals more power. With the hot cam, throttle body and high-flow fuel injectors, the Talon’s engine is the total package for total off-road performance.
- OFFSET DUAL-PIN CRANKSHAFT The crankshaft seems such a simple part, but it’s here that so much of the engine’s character is determined. By offsetting the cylinders’ two crankpins by 270 degrees, the Talon’s engine delivers a wide powerband and abundant torque. Counterbalancers keep everything running smooth.
- TUNED EXHAUST The final part of the Talon’s balanced power equation: better breathing and more fuel delivery require an equally tuned exhaust system. The Talon delivers. Not only does it deliver some beautiful mechanical music, but it helps the engine deliver smooth, even power from partial throttle to wide-open running.
- HIGH-CAPACITY COOLING SYSTEM Rock crawling, deserts, dunes, and high-altitude operation can all challenge your side-by-side’s cooling system. That’s why we gave all our Talons a high-capacity system. Tested under some of the most arduous conditions we could find, you can rest assured your engine will remain calm, and collected when the going gets tough.
- OIL-JET-COOLED PISTONS Another invisible example of Honda’s race-winning engineering. Squirting oil up onto the underside of the Talon’s pistons help them run cooler and seal better. The combination lets the pistons lead an easier life and helps the engine make more power. The design also lets us use lighter pistons, for a faster-revving engine.
- 10mm CYLINDER OFFSET By building the Talon’s engine with the cylinder bore 10mm in front of the crankshaft, we change the thrust forces on the pistons’ skirts and faces. That helps the rings seal better. It’s all part of the Honda story—numbers only tell a small part; design details like these make your Talon 1000X-4 the best in class.
- SPINY SLEEVE CYLINDER LINER Another example of Honda’s attention to detail and unmatched engineering. This unique system positively locks the steel cylinder liner and the aluminum cylinder block together. The result is more contact surface area, and that means better engine cooling and heat transfer for superior engine performance.
- SEMI-DRY-SUMP LUBRICATION Proven in Honda’s racing engines, keeping engine oil away from the crankshaft helps eliminate windage losses. The semi-dry-sump design also helps ensure more positive oiling under the extreme driving conditions a Talon’s driver can experience. Better engine lubrication and longer engine life are the result.
- ENGINE AIR INTAKE To get the most out of your engine, you need the best air going into it. That’s why we positioned the air filter up high over the engine in the rear, and the air intake off to the side. It helps ensure a clean air supply, even at deeper fording depths.
- RUBBER-MOUNT ENGINE AND EXHAUST Some of the most impressive Talon features are those you’ll never see. In addition to the suspension and ground clearance, we rubber-mounted the engine and exhaust system to insulate the cabin against excessive vibration. We also gave them four engine mounts to add strength under high-performance driving operation.
- POWER Because Honda’s all-gear Automatic DCT Transmission is so efficient, it has more rear-wheel horsepower than some of the competitors in the class.
- FOX LIVE VALVE SUSPENSION The Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve features FOX Live Valve suspension with 2.5-inch shocks on all four wheels. The system adjusts damping on each shock independently, automatically, and up to 16 times a second for superior ride quality and less pitch and roll over all terrain.
- CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION The Talons feature a special, long-wheelbase and high-performance chassis that forms the basis for its superior handling and stability. From there we add long-travel independent front and rear suspension and generous ground clearance. The Talon 1000X-4 gets premium, FOX Podium 2.0 shocks up front and 2.5 shocks out back (with QS3 quick adjustors on all four corners), while the Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve showcases our new FOX Live Valve suspension with 2.5 shocks front and rear.
- 3-LINK REAR SUSPENSION On the Talons, Honda’s 3-link trailing-arm rear suspension is one of the secrets to their superior handling. Both feature 15 inches of rear-wheel travel for a smooth ride and superior control.
- FOX LIVE-VALVE 2.5 SHOCKS Only available on the Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve, these shocks incorporate FOX’s automatically-adjusting Live Valve technology. The shocks are constantly changing their compression damping (each shock independently, in real time). You get less roll in corners, a smoother ride through whoops, and more resistance to bottoming—a deluxe ride overall.
- FOX QS3 SHOCKS The Talon 1000X-4 features FOX Podium 2.0 shocks in front and 2.5 shocks in the rear, all with QS3 quick adjustors. The adjustors are intuitive, with three distinct settings that make it easy to tune your suspension to the terrain or your driving style.
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE DISC BRAKES A high-performance side-by-side needs high-performance brakes. The Talon’s power, chassis and suspension travel helps take these side-by-sides to the next level. Front and rear they feature 250mm discs, with 34mm twin-piston calipers in front and 34mm single-piston calipers in the rear. Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) optimizes front and rear braking power under dynamic chassis conditions in two-wheel drive.
- INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION Dual A-arm suspension gives you 14.6 inches (14.4 inches - FOX Live Valve) of travel in the front. Pair that with stellar ground clearance and you begin to understand two reasons why the Talons handle so well and are so comfortable in rough terrain.
- LONG WHEELBASE The Talon’s 116.4-inch wheelbase contributes to this sport side-by-side’s tracking, and also gives you a super-smooth ride, plus it gives excellent control in whoops and rough terrain.
- FRONT/REAR WEIGHT BALANCE Exhaustive testing shows that for serious sport driving, a slight rear weight bias is best. That’s why we set the Talons up with 44 percent of their weight over the front, and 56 percent over the rear. Uphill, downhill, over whoops and in g-outs, the Talon 1000X-4 models just flat-out work.
- DUAL-RATE SPRINGS The Talon’s suspension springs offer soft initial travel, yet resist bottoming for both comfortable ride and control—the best of both worlds.
- SKID PLATES Off-road driving is a tough pursuit, and Mother Nature can be harsh. Not to worry—we have your Talons covered. Literally. Generous skid protection armors vulnerable undercarriage and suspension components. Want even more? Check out our accessories lineup.
- FRONT BUMPER Here’s something you can see and experience for yourself. The Talon’s standard front bumper offers a degree of vehicle protection some other side-by-sides lack. But this smart design doesn’t compromise performance, because it’s designed to slide smoothly over obstacles in rough approach conditions, enhancing off-road clearance and maneuverability while still offering good protection.
- RECOVERY HOOK POINT Built in to the Talon’s chassis design, this attaching point makes it easy to secure your Talon for transport, and also makes it easy to hook up a recovery strap when your buddy with some other brand of side-by-side gets stuck. Make him buy you lunch as a payback.
- AUTOMATIC SIX-SPEED DCT TRANSMISSION The convenience of an automatic with the strength, control, and efficiency of a manual, Honda’s DCT lets you drive the way you want. Choose between manual mode or fully automatic. Plus, the addition of Sport Mode increases the fun, shifting at higher RPMs for a spirited, full-performance driving experience. DCT puts you in control as to what engine speed you want, and what gear ratio. Or you can let it do all the thinking for you. In addition, you also get genuine compression braking and a more efficient power delivery than a belt-driven CVT.
- I-4WD The Talons showcase the second generation of our exclusive I-4WD system, specifically tuned to respond quicker and capable of delivering even more drive force. Think “I” for “Intelligent,” because that’s exactly what it is. An industry-first brake-traction control system for side-by-sides, it simplifies operation, increases drivability and optimizes traction. Using proven, advanced technology from Honda’s automotive division, you get the benefits associated with a locked front differential with none of the downsides. That means it maintains front-wheel traction even if one wheel wants to spin on ice or mud or if it’s in a hole. But at the same time, you get the lighter steering, better tracking at high speeds, tighter turning radius, and reduced kickback associated with unlocked front differentials. Special software tunes the I-4WD system for sport use.
- LAUNCH MODE Nobody wants to get beat off the line, and with a Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve you’ll be the one doing the laughing. It’s the only side-by-side with both an automatic transmission and a launch mode. And it’s easy to use: Just hold down the brake, press the Launch Mode switch, hold both paddle shifters back, floor the gas pedal, and release the paddles. Hold on tight, because you’re going to be feeling serious acceleration. The DCT automatically shifts up too, so you keep going through all the gears. Launch mode even features a special yaw control, so you launch straight and true.
- RELENTLESS DURABILITY When it comes to strength and toughness, the Talons lead the way. The oversized 87mm CV joints, beefy 39.7mm propshafts and strong U-joints are all built to survive the loads that low-speed rock crawling can generate—and which cause driveline failures in so many other side-by-sides.
- PADDLE SHIFTING Steering column-mounted paddle shifters add a serious dose of performance in every drive. In Manual mode, they let you shift without ever taking your hands off the steering wheel, and in Automatic mode, they let you override the current gear with a quick up or downshift, holding that gear for several seconds before returning to Automatic mode.
- HIGH/LOW SUBTRANSMISSION With a full 42-percent gear reduction between High and Low, you get the torque you need in all six gears. That’s sure to come in handy when driving over difficult terrain, scaling hills or rock crawling.
- HILL START ASSIST Need to stop on an uphill? Honda’s Hill Start Assist automatically holds your Talons in position while you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator—there’s no roll-back drama. It even works on the downhills, too!
- 2WD/4WD/SHIFT ON THE FLY Want to access as much traction as possible? Put it in I-4WD. Need maximum power at all four wheels? I-4WD eliminates the need for traditional locking differentials. Want to use 2WD for lighter steering or specific terrain? The Talons let you do it all, and the best part is, you can do it all with the push of a button.
- CV JOINT BOOT PROTECTION Tear a CV boot, and it’s only a matter of time until you’ll be making a costly replacement. That’s why we give the Talon 1000X-4 and Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve’s CV joints double protection: First, we design them to tuck up tight covered by the suspension arms. Second, the CV joints themselves get a special guard to offer even more protection.
- ADVANCED TRANSMISSION LOGIC The brain of the DCT, Advanced Transmission Logic, senses how you drive and adapts. Relaxed drivers get earlier shifts for a quieter ride at lower engine speeds. Sportier drivers will hold each gear longer for higher RPM shifts. And when going downhill, you get true engine braking. Now that’s a smart transmission.
- SPIRAL RING AND PINION REAR FINAL DRIVE Spiral-cut gears in your Talon’s final drive mean the load is shared over several teeth, not just one, and that means they’re quieter and produce less vibration too.
- CENTER PROPSHAFT BEARING Since the Talons have a longer wheelbase than our two-seat models, it follows that they have a longer propshaft too. To make it strong and smooth, we fit it with a special center bearing.
- PROPSHAFT DAMPER Here’s another example of Honda attention to detail: The Talon’s propshaft gets a special, cam-type damper. It cuts down on vibration, helps driveline parts last longer, and gives you a smoother ride.
- CONNECTED DRIVE FEELING Compared to a CVT transmission, the Talon’s positive automatic DCT gearbox gives you a far more connected feel with your side-by-side. Combine that with their responsive engine, and you’ll see why a Talon 1000X-4 gives you superior control.
- LOW-EXPANSION BRAKE HOSES By fitting the Talon with low expansion brake hoses, you get better pedal feel and rock-solid braking performance.
- ELECTRIC POWER STEERING Standard equipment on all Talon models, our Electric Power Steering system helps eliminate bump steer through rocky and rutted terrain, which reduces fatigue. What makes it even better is the added assist you get when you need it most, like when you’re in 4WD, driving at lower speeds, or maneuvering over rough conditions. Plus, the system is specially tuned to give you the right amount of feedback for sport-driving.
- STADIUM SEATING The Talons feature stadium seating for the rear passengers: compared to the front seats their seats are set almost three inches higher and two inches closer to each other, which gives those passengers a much better field of view. They’re not just looking at a pair of helmets in front of them—they get to enjoy the ride like everyone else. Forget about first class and coach—everyone rides first class here.
- DRIVER/PASSENGER PROTECTION The Talon’s Occupant Protection Structure uses large-diameter tubing, and meets ROHVA’s rollover protection standard. The standard-equipment hard doors and quick-clip side nets help keep debris from entering the cabin. Auto-style three-point seatbelts are equipped with an emergency locking retractor mechanism, to help optimize passenger security. (The Talon 1000X-4 and Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve’s seats are also four-point compatible for competition use.)
- PAINTED BODY Why paint and not color-molded plastic? Because the Talon’s painted body parts resist scratching better, and we know that where you’re going to be driving this side-by-side, you won’t want to slow down for a little brush by the side of the trail. Plus, they just look better—the first time you see a new Talon in person, we’re sure you’ll agree.
- ADJUSTABLE DRIVER’S SEAT Honda has a ton of data and experience on seats, thanks to our auto division. And while just about every sport side-by-side has an adjustable driver's seat, only the Talon gets it this right. Designed to fit a wide range of operators, it also locks positively in position without wobble, helping make you feel more connected to the vehicle.
- TILT WHEEL With a tilt steering wheel, you’re ensured an even more comfortable experience, especially under high-performance driving conditions. The tilt-wheel function also makes it easier to get in and out.
- FRONT PASSENGER “T” GRAB HANDLE Your front passenger needs a solid way to hold on, but it took the Honda Talons to get this feature right. The “T” handle up front is quick adjustable, but just as important it adjusts solidly and rattle free.
- REAR PASSENGER GRAB BAR Your rear passengers get a comfortable, full-width grab bar to hang onto. It’s simple, intuitive, and finger-friendly.
- LCD DISPLAY The multi-function LCD dash display is large enough to host loads of information, like speed, fuel level, engine speed, transmission mode, fuel gauge, coolant temperature, trip information and more. It even includes a clock, so you’ll always know when it’s time for some fun.
- HARD DOORS The Talon’s wide front and rear doors (standard equipment) make entry and exit easier for both front- and rear-seat occupants. Plus, the doors use an automotive-style double-latch design that provides a secure, rattle-free feel.
- AERODYNAMIC ROOF Typical of Honda’s attention to detail, the Talon’s full-coverage roof is specially designed to divert rainwater away from occupants. And unlike some others, it’s also designed to be aerodynamically cooperative when transporting the vehicle, whether you’re trailering it forward or backward. Standard equipment.
- PAINTED FRAME AND ROPS The Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve features a special color-matched painted frame and Roll-Over Protection Structure that set it apart visually and help make this new side-by-side stand out wherever you go.
- TWIN-LEVEL FRONT PASSENGER FOOTRESTS Some side-by-sides treat their occupants like they’re flying in economy class. Not the Talon. You’ve got acres of legroom here, even for six-foot-plus passengers wearing bulky boots. The special two-level front-passenger footrests let you brace yourself solidly over rough terrain, and stretch out when just cruising along. Designed to accommodate a wide range of passengers in comfort.
- REAR PASSENGER LEGROOM The Talon’s rear seats are designed for full-sized human beings. The rear cabin features plenty of leg- and elbow room, and generous headroom for wearing a helmet too.
- COMFORTABLE SEATS The Talon’s seats have been designed to be the most comfortable in the industry. They feature a wide seatback and an even wider seat bottom. They don’t rattle. They don’t hold water. They offer tons of lateral support. And the driver’s side is positively adjustable to fit a wide variety of operator heights. They’re even compatible with four-point harnesses for competition use. Your connection to your side-by-side starts here, and even before you start moving, you’ll know a Talon is the right ride for you.
- INTEGRATED INNER DOOR HANDLE Another “small” detail, but one you and especially your passengers will come to appreciate. All four doors feature an integrated inner door handle, another example of the premium the Talons put on comfort and convenience. You’ll use them dozens of times each weekend, and wonder why all side-by-sides aren’t built this way.
- LARGE CARGO BED Lunchtime? We’re on it. The Talon’s cargo bed sits up high, out of harm’s way and where it’s easily accessible. Big enough to easily hold a large 45-quart cooler with room to spare, it has a 299-pound capacity (that’s a lot of burgers) and features six strong tie-down points.
- DOOR NETS A small detail? Not when you’ve wrestled with some other designs or aftermarket add-ons out there. On the Talons, our door nets are standard equipment on all four doors. They latch and unlatch quickly and easily. Performance counts, and we’ve made it easier to protect yourself and your passengers from the elements.
- ACCESSORY CHARGING SOCKETS Need to charge up a phone or navi system while you’re on the go? No problem: we gave the Talons two dedicated 12-volt charging ports, one located in the front and the other for rear-seat passengers.
- GENEROUS, SECURE CUP HOLDERS Hey, we’re out here to have a good time, and who wants to be thirsty? And that means taking something to drink with you. The Talons feature four cup holders (two in front, two in the rear), and each one securely holds the 30-ounce off-road standard, as well as plenty of other travel cups.
- FLAG MOUNT On other side-by-sides, things like a flag mount are an afterthought. Not on a Talon. No detail escapes our designers’ full attention. The Talon’s flag mount is fully integrated into the design, and easy to use.
- BUILT IN THE U.S.A. The Talons are purpose-built for the American market, right in America. Domestically and globally sourced parts are all assembled at our plant in Timmonsville, South Carolina, and once these side-by-sides roll off the line, they’re ready to explore every corner of the country.
- Honda ACCESSORIES Right from the start, we’re offering dozens of accessories available direct from your Honda dealer, to help you customize your new Talon 1000X-4 or Talon 1000X-4 FOX Live Valve to your individual taste. They look right, fit right, and work right. In addition, many accessories interchange between our two-seat and four-seat Talon models—convenient!
All inventory listed is subject to availability and prior sale. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) if shown for a vehicle excludes set-up, freight, taxes, title, licensing or other dealer charges, and is subject to change. Individual prices may vary. Please request a quote for specific pricing.